Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

My co-worker gave me this book recently and I finished it a couple of days ago. This is a book for anyone who enjoyed "The Joy Luck Club" or "Memoirs of a Geisha", it's very much along the same lines...Asian women learning and observing traditions, trying to improve their station in life, etc. What's inteesting about books like these is how they make you think about certain traditions, and how they came about. For example, footbinding plays a huge role in this book - the more perfect a girl's feet are, the better chance she has of marrying well. And this makes me wonder - who the heck thought this up? What do feet have to do with anything else a wife provides? Anyway, it's a good read, though I don't think any of the male readers of this blog will touch it since it has a super girly title and cover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home