Monday, May 07, 2007

Grey's Anatomy - What Happened?

I think I'm going to do a couple of posts about TV shows this week, because I'm invested in a few and I have mixed feelings about some of them these days. First case: Grey's Anatomy. I got into the show in it's second season and once I was, I was hooked. Sure' it's kind of stupid and unrealistic but at times it's very funny, at times it's very dramatic, and its full of people that are supposed to be my age and are navigating their way through the same life issues that I am so I can relate. That is what was so good about this show. They were good at showing how hard it was to do well at work, to learn from the ground up and make mistakes and have the courage to come back in the next day and start over. The show was good at showing late twenty-somethings trying to figure out how to balance work, life, love and friends. It was good at a lot of things...I can't think of them all right now but I'm not the only person that feels that way because you could say "McDreamy!" on any street corner on any city in America right now and I guarantee you everybody will turn around and be like "where's Patrick Dempsey? I don't see him."

But lately, I've been disatisfied with Grey's. The biggest even I'm annoyed with is something that I lot of viewers are annoyed with (I'm a geek, I read bulletin boards) - George and Izzie sleeping together. Part of it has to do with the fact that these two are friends and have never ever shown any signs of romantic inclination towards one other. I understand that sometimes friends hook up, but see you've got to have some kind of transition - no matter how slight- to convince the viewers that there may have been something there all along. That's what the other part has to do with. This plot seems so contrived it's ridiculous. Sure everybody at this hospital is sleeping with everybody else...this is what happenes on shows that have long runs on tv. everybody jumps into bed with everybody. But seriously? don't we have enough people having affairs at this hospital without dragging George and Izzie into it? It seems like bed-hopping just for the sake of bed-hopping and that annoys me. If these friends and co-workers are going to have an affair (and it is since George is married) I want to see some reasons why.

I'm not a show quitter (usually) so I'm not jumping ship yet, but I really am tired of the current path of things on Grey's...so the writers should really figure out where things are going in season four...and it's my hope that they steer this ship back to what makes Grey's the show it is.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home