Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Strike: Day Two

I went with the same travel plan this morning as I did yesterday. I managed to shorten today's commute to an hour and forty-five minutes, down from yesterday's two and a half hours. So for all of you in other countries or states who aren't playing along here, here's the play by play:

7:15 a.m. - Depart Maspeth. Thank God I have Dad to drive me to this train station.

7:27 a.m. - Arrive at the Woodside station of the LIRR. There's an insane ticket line weaving around the block like there was yesterday. But I bought multiple tickets yesterday, so I show a ticket, and head on up to the platform. No waiting downstairs. Score!

7:30 a.m. - We are told to move all the way to the end of the platform. I do.

7:45 a.m. - A train pulls into the last station, only the last car is about two car lengths away from me. There's way too many people and there's no way I'm getting on. Thanks jackass, for making me move to the end of the platform.

7:50 a.m. - I decide that it's still Christmas week and I need to be in good spirits. Put on the MP3 player and listen to Christmas carols.

8:05 a.m. - A train that's half empty with available seats and everything speeds through without stopping. Great.

8:08 a.m - Same thing. Stupid.

8:15 a.m. - A train finally stops at Woodside again, only to be even shorter than the last one, and I'm still too far down on the platform. Damn it.

8:20 a.m. - Half empty train full of Long Islanders, happily enjoying their commute.

8:25 a.m. Same thing.

8:30 a.m. - Finally get on a train. Stand up for the fifteen minute ride into Penn.

8:45 a.m. - Arrive at Penn Station. Go out the first exit I see and end up on 34th and 8th.

9:00 a.m. - arrive at the office. For the first time ever, I am partaking in the office morning coffee rush.

Happy strike - er, I mean Holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home