Monday, August 27, 2007

Middlesex

I just finished reading this book a couple of days ago. Yes, it's the latest Oprah book. This year I've been making a big effort to take books out of the library instead of buying them all the time in an attempt to save at least some money. And it's been working out nicely...I put the books I want to read on hold at the library, pick them up, read them, return them. What's interesting about this system is that I'm reading stuff that I wouldn't necessarily pick up at the bookstore. I sometimes pass books in the bookstore, pick them up, read the back, say "Nah" for some reason and keep moving. But the library allows me to try these books out even if I'm not sure about them because they are free. Such is the case with Middlesex. I'm certain I've thumbed through it once or twice in the bookstore, but for one reason or another, never picked it up. But reading it was such an enjoyable experience, I'm so glad I did pick it up.

The language is gorgeous, the narrartor is enjoyable to follow around and the story is definetely interesting. If pressed for a one sentence description, you'd have to say that the story was about a hermaphrodite, a "boy" who was born with undescended testicles and raised as a girl, but the book is about so much more than that. The narrarator traces her condition back three generations, using the mixing of genes to tell the stories of her grandparents and parents....it's genius. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed spending time in this novel.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, after that "one sentence description," it is no wonder that there are no comments.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Jlyn said...

Well, Michiko Kakatani, I apologize sincerely for the lack of intellectually stimulating commentary. In truth, I am not big on book reviews, I mostly like to say I liked a book if I did, and I never care to slam the ones I didn't. My trash may be someone else's treasure. And while my review probably could have been more descriptive, all I really wanted to say was that "Middlesex" was great and that people should read it.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home