Monday, June 13, 2005

My new obsession


Biggest Brother
Originally uploaded by jlyn1267.
HBO was kind enough to put their 2001 miniseries "Band of Brothers" on their On Demand Channel recently, allowing me to rewatch the entire ten part series. For some reason, I was fascinated by it this time around. I've never been huge on the war stuff- I leave that to my Dad, but I found this story so interesting, poignant and at times, heartbreaking, that I couldn't stop watching the episodes. (The fact that every actor in it was a serious piece of eye candy may have had something to do with it) After seeing the whole story - from basic training to Hitler's Eagle's Nest, I realized that I wanted to know more about these men - especially the man who had led them - Major Dick Winters.

I found this book "Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led the Band of Brothers" and just read it. It offers much of the Band of Brothers's story, their trek through Europe in WWII, but from his point of view only. I liked learning about his life before and after the war.

Ever since I got promoted to manager last year, I've thought a lot about leadership, and what it takes to motivate people, to get the job done without killing yourself and those who work under you, but also making sure things happen as they should. I must say, reading about this man has done more than just entertain me - he's inspired me. For anyone who's a history buff - I strongly recommend this read.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
»

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Bayliner rear running light fuse

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home