Monday, November 12, 2007

Jenn's Health Experiment

Lately I've been thinking a lot about trying to be a little bit healthier. But first off, let me clarify something here. There is a difference between getting "healthy" and "healthier". I don't want to get "healthy" - at least not yet. It's not my style. Wheat germ and getting all excited about going an extra mile on the treadmill - blech. Not for me. But the way I eat and go about my life now - I find I'm more fatigued and blah than I probably should be - so this week I am going to try and make a few minor changes (the idea is make small changes so they are easier to stick to) and see how I feel at the end of the week. The changes are:

1. make sure I take a multivitamin every day. I just started taking them not too long ago, but I find about half the time, I forget to do it at all.
2. substitute my morning coffee for a cup of green tea. Let's see how the antioxidants work.
3. Eat an apple a day. I almost never eat fruit - but apples are okay in my book.
4. Hit the gym at least a couple of times this week. - We'll see how the schedule goes, but at least a couple of times will be something.
5. Try to drink eight glasses of water a day. I probably do about five - but what if I actually got the recommended dose?

I'm telling you guys this because telling people may keep me a little more honest and motivated to do this. So maybe ask me at the end of the week how it's going and if I feel a little better. If I do feel better - hopefully that will be the motivation to keep it up.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Jen, and I in fact have been implementing a new plan myself, as of Nov. 1! Similar goals slightly different plans, but we're in the same place. In fact Apples are my new "default" snack!

The only advice, or change I would suggest is that you should give it more than a week. They say it takes about 3 weeks to start and form a habit, so if you can bear it, force your self to do these things for the better part of a month. These are all things we know are good for you right? So stick to it for 3 weeks and see what sticks. For me the Gym has actually already become a "habit" even though I am with you and I don't feel excited to go to the gym and so on, I already "miss it" or feel slightly anxious if I haven't been to the gym in a couple days. It took me about a month to get there (I had started the gym before Nov. 1), but now I honestly feel anxiousness or the need to keep a schedule when I miss the gym, and hopefully you know me well enough to know that Exercise has always been something that wasn't really a big part of my life...

And if fatigue is something you are worried about might I also suggest no eating an hour or two before going to bed? Dale works selling sleep aids and one thing they also suggest is just changing a few habits. Apparently if you eat too close to sleep, your body can't shut down all the way as it "digests" the food. So I implemented a "No Caffeine, no food" in the hour and half before I want to sleep and darn if I don't swear by it now. I get better sleep, and wake up feeling better...

Anyway, here are a few of my new rules:

- No more than one 20oz Coke a day, Sprite 0 and so on are perfectly good subsitutes...
- Light beer only at home, like Coke, if it is around, I will drink it...
- I am also famous for having 2 HUGE meals a day, so I am trying to get myself in the habit of several small meals, which apparently both helps your metabolism and helps keep you feeling awake and alert. You can get your body in the habit of realizing, if you are digesting food, it is awake time, and if you haven't eaten in a while it knows you might be trying to end our day...
- And like you, trying to keep this Gym Habit!

Good Luck, and Glad to hear it! Maybe we can be "Health Buddies" and report our progress/results to each other!

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home