Friday, July 14, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

I went to see this movie last night with my sister and my Mom. I was looking forward to seeing it just for Meryl Streep - who I heard was awesome as the pain in the ass boss. And she was - the movie was pretty funny, Meryl had some great lines and I was entertained the entire time.

But there was another aspect of this film that really interested me - and that was the modern day dilemma of work vs. personal life. This movie raises the question - in an over the top and exaggerated way, "How much of your personal life do you have to give up to be good at your job?" The answer is different for everyone, but there was a line in the movie that really rang true for me. Anne Hathaway said to to Stanley Tucci, "My personal life is going to hell." And Stanley Tucci said, "that's how you know you're starting to do well at work." And my job isn't the worst in the world, but at the same time, I've gotten calls from my office on my day off, I've called in myself on my day off, I miss dinner with my family every night because I get home between 7:30 and 8:00, you get the drift. And my friends - some of them have crazy jobs. One of them is working this weekend - he's been working every third weekend of the month for over a year. Plus long ass days to begin with. I have friends who work twelve hour days, all the time. blah blah blah.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this - just felt like musing a bit. I guess what I hope is that someday I have a job that I love so much that I won't mind working whatever hours it throws my way. Cause God knows, the work day sure isn't getting any shorter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home