Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Bullitt

Caught another movie at Bryant Park last night - this time it was Bullitt starring Steve McQueen. It was badass night at Bryant Park. I arrived a little after six-thirty and found Eric and Alex on the 40th Street side of the lawn, pretty far down to the front. Kudos on the great spot guys! The key to a fun (and comfortable) night at Bryant Park is not only getting a good spot, but getting a spot with a lot of space so you have room to stretch out in the five hours you'll be spending there. Eric and Alex secured their spot around five - and they had two blankets out, enough for everybody to lay down on.

We agreed that the hours before the movie flew by. But it was a gorgeous night - not hot, and just a hint of cool breeze. We talked and read and wrote and worked on computers. Here's what went on before the movie:

Eric pointed out a woman who was walking around with a laptop strapped to her. She walks around taking orders for a food place - sends them to the place from the computer, then leaves a numbered flag by your picnic spot, and that's how the place knows where to deliver the food to. Eric and I shook our heads and said, "Only in New York."

Another guy walked around with a clipboard stopping and asking everyone if they were registered Democrats. Everyone was shrugging him off, and he seemed a little peeved. "Of course I'm a registered Democrat," Eric whispered to me. "I just don't want to fill out paperwork." He looked around at all the people on the lawn, skirts and beards and long hair and said, "In fact, I know there isn't a single person on this lawn who isn't a registered Democrat."

We worked on a tagline for Alex's screenplay. I could tell you what it's about, but then I'd have to kill you.

Dusk approached and it was almost time for the movie. Eric and Alex had brought pillows and everything- I've never had a sweeter setup at Bryant Park. We told Alex about the ritual - the HBO dancing, which he got right into. They show that old old promo for HBO - I can't really describe it, but if you saw and heard it you'd know it. And everybody gets up and dances. It's very odd, and very Bryant Park Summer Film Festival.

Then the fun starts. A cartoon! Duck Dodgers to the rescue! And then the movie starts. I'd never seen this whole movie - I'd seen bits and pieces like the chase scene, but I'm glad I got to see it here. Watching a movie like this at Bryant Park is fun because everybody's into it - and whenever Steve McQueen says something suave or rough everyone cheers and whistles. We were so far down front that we were able to lay with our heads propped up on pillows and still see. It was awesome.

Thanks guys for getting such a great spot and a fun night!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In fact, I know there isn't a single person on this lawn who isn't a registered Democrat."

Another reason I suppose you don't invite me...

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home