Friday, September 30, 2005

Brian owes me $1000


Three years ago Brian and I were on our way home after a night of drinks with Kluwer folk. At Penn Station, it was awhile til our trains, so we went into the Houlihan's there for one more. So while in Houlihan's we were discussing the state of my love life. And Brian says, "You know Jenny, the next man you're with, I think he's going to be the one. You'll be engaged, off the market." "Brian," I said, "As good as that sounds, I just don't see it happening." "Yes, he says, adamant. "I think that's what's going to happen." You all know what happens next. This escalates and eventually a wager is made. Brian bet me $1000 that I 'd be engaged by October of 2005. Hard to believe that was three years ago, but it was. Now October is one day away, and I don't even have a boyfriend.

So Brian, it's almost time to pony up. I know that your argument will be that October is not out yet - so I'll happily wait until November 1st to be paid. But I suggest that you spend the next month figuring out how you are going to come up with this money. If you put away thirty bucks every day for the whole month - there you go. Or, if you pay me in euros it's only 831.00 with the exchange rate.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that Brian both made and lost this bet is a poor commentary on the judgement of NYC's single men, and a poor commentary on Brian's social awareness and fiscal astuteness.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home