Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Colony: The Harrowing True Story of the Exiles of Molokai

I'm not even done with this book yet, but I know it's something I want to put up here on the blog. This book is fascinating. In the mid 1800s leprosy began to spring up on the Hawaiian islands and government officials were afraid if they didn't contain it, the disease would wipe out the entire Hawaiian population. So the board of health began exiling patients to a remote, unescapable island where instead of receiving care and medicine, the victims of this disease were left to more of less fend for themselves and to die. I don't even remember learning about this in school, so since this is the first I'm hearing of it, it's definetely interesting to me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you checked out my browser: www.fuckspammers.com.net/org?

It's better than leprosy! Promise!!!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you checked out my browser: www.fuckspammers.com.net/org?

It's better than leprosy! Promise!!!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you didn't know about this, you COULDN'T have gone to Catholic school. Fr. Damien? He was the priest who worked for years among the lepers on Molokai and on the Sunday after he discovered that he, too, had contracted leprosy began his sermon, "Fellow lepers." You should have seen the beatific smile on the nuns' faces as they retold this tale year after year.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home