Monday, November 06, 2006

My Kinda Marathon

Some of you may have watched the New York City marathon yesterday. I did not. I think that running 26 miles is utter insanity. Three or four or even five is okay. 26 is nuts. But, since November is a marathony kind of month, I found my own to participate in.

Drapo sent me a link to this - National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write 50,000 words (a mini novel, if you will) in 30 days, during the month of November. So you sign up, track your progress, and so on. It's not supposed to be a masterpiece, it's more about finding out that you can do it. Isn't that why everybody runs the marathon? To know they can do it? Yup, that's what I'm doing.

So I've written 7200 words so far - on par for the month. We'll see how the rest of it goes, and if you want to check out my profile and an excerpt, click here:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/userinfo.php?uid=175471

Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be careful to avoid the pitfalls of this type of writing. Keep in mind, mademoiselle, a comment on The Pickwick Papers: "This book is quite long and drawn out. I understand that he was paid by the word but it is not easy to get into a book that takes four paragraphs to characterize a carriage."

8:06 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

Best of luck, Jen, on this newest endeavor. I know you can do it!

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Cool. I don't think I can try this month, to late, but perhaps I can do it next month and track my progress on my own. What a cool idea, and congrats for getting after it! Best of Luck, although I am sure you'll take something away from the process to matter WHAT happens...

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, we we finish our novels we are TOTALLY going on a cross country tour.

I'll give you the pleasure of reading first at every stop :)

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home