Monday, September 25, 2006

Vacation Stories! Chapter 1: Berlin


Hey guys! Sorry I've been away so long, but I was on vacation in Europe. A little over a week and travel in Berlin, Prague and Vienna. I was pretty lazy about pictures and updates from my trip last year on the blog, so this year, I am going to try to do a little better. So here goes:

On the right you'll find a photo of Drapo (aka Matt, for those of you from the trip) and I posing with Karl Marx and Frederich Engels in Berlin. This statue is hilarious - Drapo wanted us on Marx's lap, but he was a bit tall for that kind of climbing. Still, I think this photo rocks, and a friend of mine said, "It looks like the four of you have gotten together for a drink or tea," Ha.

Berlin sort of staggered me, it was very different than any other European city I'd ever visited. Not pretty like Paris or Munich, but worn and rough from World War II and Hitler and the Soviets and general unrest. The history was amazing, we learned so much about Hitler, the war, the Holocaust, the Berlin Wall, life in East and West Germany, escape atttempts, the wall coming down, etc. Berlin as a united city is also relatively new, and it is really interesting to see this city taking shape, putting up long overdue memorials to the Holocaust victims, and so on. I'll post more about these sights soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ironic that the only two folks in the picture born with no capital, living with no capital and probably going to die with no capital are the two decadent Americans!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home