Friday, March 31, 2006

The Girl in the Cafe

I find that I always really enjoy the original films that HBO does. "Iron Jawed Angels", "Angels in America", "Normal", "Empire Falls". This is just one more in the collection - "The Girl in the Cafe".

In this film, two unlikely lovers - Lawrence and Gina somehow come together in a crowded cafe. As they uncertainly stumble towards their attraction and even love for one another, their interactions are complicated by Lawrence's work at the G8 summit which happens to be taking place in Reykjavik, Iceland. As Iceland shows up on this blog all the time, many of you will realize that part of the reason that I like this movie is because a part of it takes place in Iceland. This is true. The more I think about it, the more that I realize that Iceland is one of the most peaceful, quiet places that I have ever been in my life. There's something about it that makes me feel like I could sink into it, and never feel restless while I was there. I love the little scenes we do get on the streets of Reykjavik, walking by the harbor, and driving green mossy and black volcanic empty roads.

The music is also very good - there's some Icelandic artists on the soundtrack - and it's all very sad and romantic. And of course, the story itself - I really enjoy the interaction between Lawrence and Gina - even though he's old and she's young and he's serious and conservative and she can be quite outlandish, I think it just works here. Very enjoyable film.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home