Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I am a Movie Maniac

It occurs to me that I've seen at ton of movies lately and haven't really commented on any of them. So, here's a brief summary of all the movies I've seen in the past couple of months and what I thought of them:

Capote - author Truman Capote undertakes the writing the book that will make his career, "In Cold Blood". The movie was great of course. Philip Seymour Hoffman was great - he always is. He's got so much range as an actor, it's crazy. (To see him on the other end of things, rent "Along Came Polly".) But the movie was very dramatic, very plain and subtle and by being so, did exactly what it was supposed to.

Eight Below - this is the Disney movies about the sled dogs that get left behind in Antarctica for the winter. You know, it was cute, touching, sad, and interesting, and even though I wasn't really expecting to, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Watching Paul Walker be pretty for two hours never hurts either.

Good Night and Good Luck - George Clooney's baby about Edward Murrow's quest for justice during the McCarthy years in the U.S. Black and white, serious, interesting. Good overall - I love it how all the movies I'm seeing lately are teaching me stuff about parts of history that I'm a little fuzzy on.

Brokeback Mountain - great movie. Pretty scenery, gay cowboys, a twenty year love story. Well played by the actors, and I didn't think it dragged or anything. This is one of those movies that is going to be subtle and slow - because that's what it's supposed to do. I liked it a lot.

Match Point - the Woody Allen one about the the not so rich guy who marries rich but still lusts after Scarlett Johanssen. I liked this a lot too, even if it seemed ordinary or kind of predictable. I'm not sure I can even explain why the story kept me engrossed but it just did.

Syriana - the one about oil interests in the Middle East. Also good - but a little hard to follow - if you see it at 11:00 on a Saturday like we all did. It's insanely interesting and thought provoking, but don't go unless you're ready for a pretty heavy movie and heavy content.

Memoirs of a Geisha - based on the best-selling novel which I read awhile ago. This actually won quite a few Oscars and it should have. Costumes, sets, all that stuff was amazing. The story was good - from what I remember they stayed with the book, and I enjoyed seeing the story on the big screen.

I am truly a movie maniac. It's bad when the only things you haven't seen in the theater are Dave Chappelle's Block Party and Ultraviolet.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recaps Jenn. Due to the fantastic Hollywood distribution system I won't get them here in the Nehterlands for a few more months, but now I know what to go and see.

I'll pass on the dog/Paul Walker flick though. Not much there to interest me.

What's wrong with Ultraviolet huh!?

I watched the preview on Quicktime.com and thought it looked like a great popcorn flick.

But then, as a Jovovich lover, I may be biased

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with brian, even though I don't know him. Why must you knock Ultraviolet? That's a horrible thing for you to say. Fifth Element was great! Therefore, Jovovich is above reproach.

Case closed!

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much love to the Drapo.

Fifth Element was awesome.

It was so damn cool I was even able to forgive the ceaseless accordian music and the cheesy bit with the blue space alien opera chick.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Jlyn said...

Maybe you two should hook up and have a Milla Jovovich marathon.

And then you can make out. :-)

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home