Friday, April 15, 2005

Lucky Girls


Lucky Girls
Originally uploaded by jlyn1267.
This is my next reading recommendation. I just finished reading this book by Nell Freudenberger, "Lucky Girls". Shari and I saw her read at Lolita, part of the Cupcake series...and I really enjoyed hearing her story "Letter to the Last Bastion". To hear the end of it I bought the book, and was treated to five short stories, all about Americans living abroad in places like Thailand, India, etc. All of these people are a little lost, a little displaced, and that combined with the backdrop of Bangkok and the Taj Mahal makes for good reading.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED this book. Read it when it first came out and passed it around to lots of people.

Glad you found it.

K

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just finished reading lucky girls - which jenn kindly mailed me. thanks jenn!! i really liked it.

i liked the brave length of freudenbergers stories and the kind of rambling yet precise style.

i was especially hooked once i got to the story "outside the eastern gate."

"outside the eastern gate are girls as many as the clouds"

what was it like to hear her read? did she say anything interesting?

kim (from jenn's writing group)

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home